Halloween Weekend Recap

All photos via the Black Diamond Burlesques Facebook page.

Since it was Halloween, I allowed myself to take the night off from studying. It was so nice to get dressed up and leave the house lol. Except for going to the gym, I feel like all I've been doing is prepping for comps. And this is it, just one more week to go (yikes)!

Anyways back to Halloween, instead of the usual party or costume contest, we decided to do something a little different this year - we went to a burlesque show! For those of you who aren't familiar with burlesque, it is often described as the art of seduction. Most shows, like the one we went to, combine sensual dances in elaborate costumes (which usually end in bedazzled pasties and thongs) with cabaret and comedy. While stripping is involved, the performers never go completely nude and the emphasis is always on the tease, rather than the strip.


Here is some fun history for you - burlesque comes from the Italian and Spanish word burla, which means to mock, trick, or joke. Victorian burlesques were designed for working class audiences and typically mocked or parodied famous plays, operas, and ballets. It wasn't until the 19th century that the famous strip-tease element entered burlesque performances in Paris (think Moulin Rouge). Burlesque entered something of a golden age in the U.S. during the 1920s and 30s, but suffered under prohibition. Today, however, there is something of a neo-Burlesque revival, which combines the glamor of the 20s and 30s with more contemporary performances.

The show we went to was in Sarasota and put on by Black Diamond Burlesque. It was a really fun evening filled with old Hollywood glamor, acrobatics, sword swallowing (with actual swords!), and a lot of laughs. It is definitely something I would love to go to again. Perhaps I should consider visiting the Moulin Rouge in Paris!

Unfortunately, the rest of my weekend wasn't nearly as exciting. After Body Attack Saturday morning (best workout class ever), I returned to comps prep for the rest of the weekend (sigh). At least the weather this weekend was amazing!


What did you do for Halloween? 
Any great costumes to report (I had a friend go as a spice rack - actual spices hot glued to her bra lol)?

PS - I am also happy to report that I did not consume one piece of Halloween candy! And this week I am participating in a clean eating challenge. Wish me luck!

Labels: